I don’t want to say that I am not enjoying Australia, because I am. I know that I am extremely blessed to have this opportunity, so I don’t want to complain too much. With that aside it has been a struggle being here. I sometimes wonder why people get so envious when my family or friends say that I am in Australia. I guess the land down under is this mystery for those who have never been here. An island, continent, country, home to the most things in the world that can kill, wicked surf, some really strange animals, people with the most adoarbale accents I have proably ever heard and so much more. Yet, there is so much that people don’t know about Australia. Last year there was a massive flood in Queensland, followed by a cyclone and I only vaguely remember hearing about it. I also didn’t realize that Aussie troops have been in the middle east just as long as we have. SO maybe that’s why people get jelous because Australia seems foreign and exotic.
And if I am being honest that is what I thought when I was deciding to come here. I was thinking adventure, beaches and a year long holiday. Yet, being here isn’t just a holiday, I am working, very hard I might add. And real life seems to find a way to sneak it. And when you are about 30 hours away from everything you have previously known it forces you to grow up and figure things out on your own. Australia is not just one adventure after another it’s filled with boring, mundane, frustrating and annoying tasks that exist I suppose anywhere you go.
While here I am giving myself the chance to explore options, to learn who I am and what I want. Sometimes I get lonely, and think I am crazy for ever thinking I could do this for a year. I wonder if I will be able to fit back in at home again.
I also miss Msu a lot. I am still a Spartan and I bleed green but I miss being in the place where people no what to say when I say Go green, it’s nice knowing you can travel around the country and often the world and find a Spartan( I have yet to find one here). And when you are in East lansing everything is welcoming.
Maybe it’s homesickness, but I miss watching msu sports. and the laid back Midwestern vibe. And people in the middle class.
My soul needs to be in a land that knows what I am talking about when I say go green.
Who understands forever im a Spartan. I bleed green. Who knows of Crunchies the Riv, the red cedar, the brojects, tom izzo, coach D, the little giants, the rocket, the mousetrap, P4RB.
Those who have Spartan spirit and pride rushing through their veins. Who cry when we win and cry when we lose, because we know it’s more than a game. It represents us all. And how no one seems to take the Spartans seriously. One loss and they all jump off the band wagon. Except those rare few who are Spartans through and through.
That is why I don’t know if I could ever stay here in the land down under, I would miss being a Spartan.
It’s not what I expected. It’s not always this glamourous adventure. I am worried about money and not having enough because things are waaay more exspensive here.
And I miss being a Spartan. I guess I know that I am a Spartan no matter where I go but I miss those Saturday nights and days at Spartan stadium I miss the Breslin Center.
Will I ever get there again? Will I just be an alumni forever? And never get the chance to live and tailgate at Msu again?
I thought of something the other day, when I was waking up. I was thinking how the time was going fast yet so slow here. I was thinking I will soon be on the plane back home. I thought home to what? What will I do with my life? And for the first time that thought didn’t leave me feeling overwhelmed. I embraced the knowledge that for the first time I get to choose. I create my own destiny. I get to decide where I go and what I do.
I can live in Africa, go back to the E. L work while I take a few classes, move to Colorado, learn to snowboard. Move to Melbourne, take classes and pay the same amount for international fees as I did at State. Whatever, I decide it’s up to me. My life is the open road, wind in my hair radio on. Sometimes there are road blocks and detours or you simply get lost and forks where we have to choose. But it’s my life and I have family and friends who love me and support me in my choices. I have Spartan blood rushing through my veins. It makes me able to face my fears, knowing that thousands have gone before me marking the path for the daring adventurers who proudly call east lansing their home. So now it’s my turn to create and live a story of my very own.
So I thank east lansing for making me, and Australia for the freedom to be who I want ot be and the chance to discover what that means exactly!
This video made me cry I remember most of those moments( of course I
wasn’t around for Magic Johnson but I have seen highlights and he was a hero of mine). But I remember Matten cleeves mo pete, mo ager etc. I remember crying whne we won in 2000 because Cleeves had the courage to carry his teammates on his back despite the sprained ankle. It was amazing watching him hobble around the court, leading the team to victory!
So no matter where I go or end up I will always and forever be a Spartan!
I have always wanted to travel the world and now I am having this wonderful opportunity. Yet, because I am kind of a conundrum, I am filled with often opposing sides. For example I am filled with this need for change, adventure, knew places and faces, yet I need consistency and friends and family. Which makes me restless. I can’t help but feel like the place I left wasn’t too bad.
Now that I am travelling and seeing the other side of the world and far away from the only life I have ever known.I have I have learned that home wasn’t too bad after all. It’s hard being far from home, and you do miss your friends and family. Talking on skype is just not the same as spending time with them. Or going to watch an msu game or sharing a glass of wine.
It makes me wonder can you have all that you want. Or will I be restless forever? I love adventure and new things and being independent. Seeing the world but I also love my family and friends. Can I get both?
Yet I can’t help but believe there is a time and place for everything and maybe now is the time for me to explore and grow as a person. Maybe I needed some freedom to be out on my own to miss what I had all along and come up with what I want out of life, with minimal distraction.
To take on a new challenge and grow as a person.
My mom mailed me Flat Stanley and I have been showing him around. The other weekend I took him to the beach with my friend Hannah. We had a picnic on the beach, went for a walk and met some very friendly life guards, we went surfing!
I am falling in love with surfing and would love nothing more than to hit the beach almost every weekend and surf. I watched this really awesome movie the other day called A Deeper Shade of Blue, it had such beautiful footage. It was a documentary about the evolution of surfing and also it’s Hawaiian roots.
Tonight I went to my first footy game! It was a lot of fun! I saw the Brisbane Broncos play the St George Dragons. I was hoping the Broncos would a. because of their mascot and b. they are a Brisbane team. They won the game but it was very close! It was fun hearing all the fans cheering and having fun it reminded me of Spartan stadium( although msu fans are much louder).
Bright and early tomorrow I am flying off to Melbourne for a 2 week holiday! I am looking forward to seeing another city and part of Australia! I have heard great things from people I know who used to live there. I will update you all later on my travels but it will be a couple of weeks before I actually post again.
So for now lots of love!! And I hope all is well!!
| Stanley and I waiting for our train. I introduced him to the public transport system! |
| our picnic lunch at Coolangatta( the gold coast) |
| getting ready for our walk along the beach |
| Stanley having a swim |
| our friends the life guards |
![]() |
| the beautiful Kira Beach -Coolangatta |
![]() |
| surfs up!! |
![]() |
| Surfers paradise off in teh haze |
![]() |
| the sun geting ready to set |
![]() |
| on our walk along the beach we saw two bridal parties |
| we were in New South Wales for the day!! |
![]() |
| on st patty's day my friend Hannah and I went to Stradbroke Island for the day- this is along Point Lookout |
![]() |
| Main beach on Straddie |
![]() |
| all decked out at the Piggin Whistle for St Patty's day |
![]() |
| climbing trees in the Tea tree lake( which I liked to call the oompa loompa lake because it made you look like an oompa loompa ) |
![]() |
| Brown lake-Stradbroke island |
![]() |
| more photos from point lookout |
![]() |
| point lookout walk |












No comments:
Post a Comment